Monday, October 11, 2010

TOOLBOX : Sharpie Pencil Review

When I first read about the Sharpie Liquid Pencil on the Sharpie Blog I was pretty stoked. I am a fan of using pencils for my doodles- but I hate that they rub and fade over time. Sharpie's Liquid pencil promises to write and erase like a pencil, and to be permanent after 24 hours (or more?).

Since I am also a Sharpie-aholic, I went ahead and bought a set at the office store to try out.

Overall it's a disappointment. The pen[cil] does not write smoothly, more like a cheap ballpoint. When you do write with it, it leaves a relatively deep impression in the paper that makes it virtually impossible to erase completely. At the same time, the "liquid graphite" is very easy to smear, or "erase" with your finger or hand.

The uneven quality means that it is not any good at the things I love doing with a pencil- shading, varying stroke weight, messing around. I'm really not sure that it is good at anything. I will check it out to see how permanent it is tomorrow.

Guess I'm stuck with my mechanical pencil fallbacks, and all my Sharpie pens (which I heart) and markers.

(If you want an even more thorough review, check out this one. Check out my blog where I plan to reminisce about all my great Sharpie moments.)

3 comments:

  1. Liquid Pencil??? My brain doesn't even compute that! We are not ready for liquid pencils... Maybe in the year 3000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... well, I like the idea of it, but I think I'll stick to old fashioned mechanicals for now.

    Thanks for the review. I hadn't even heard of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Frixion Pens by Pilot? They're basically the same thing- except worse. They keep "skipping" when you're writing. It's cool if you want that effect, but I need a writing pen. I guess I'll stick with my Uniball Vision Needle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank for the help!