Monday, July 4, 2011

TOOLBOX : Martha's Score Board

I've gotten some flack for not updating just recently... what can I say, the promise of Summer, and freelance work have lead me a astray. I've got a couple of things to show you that will hopefully make up for some of the silence. Also, I'd love to see what you've been up to, send me an email (adventures@andsothere.com) and let me share it with everyone!


My awesome mother-in-law got me this Martha Stewart Score Board for Christmas. I have to admit I was excited by the possibilities (envelopes!) but didn't see immediately how often I would use it.

Cut forward to the invention of the FlipOver planner, and my elbow, sore from using a rotary scoring blade. I pulled out the score board, and I've been using it since.

To Love:
1) I heart the square corner to line up in, and the ruler. I often will put a piece of masking tape on a score point I plan on using again and again.
2) The 1/8 inch divisions usually give you all the options you need. Also, if you would like to make something like a curved/flexible spine you can do a few scores in a row, and they are all parallel and perfect.
3) There's a little box at the top of the board that stores your bone folder, or anything else you might like to keep in there. There is also a corner guide for scoring on 45 degrees that slips into a slot at the bottom of the board.
4) The score is lovely, straight, consistent, and deep
5) I really like how flat and compact it is (especially compared to my rotary cutter). It's a lot easier to find a home for it.

To Hate:
1) DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Do not glance away. Do not blink. If you blink the Angels will make your bone folder slip and will ruin what you are doing. I plan for 10% failure rate on this because I get distracted easily.
2) The bone folder they provide is clumsy at best, and danged uncomfortable at worst. I replaced mine with a slightly sharpened bone folder from an art store. (I'll tell you how I sharpened it, if you ask nicely.)
3) I want to score everything, and I really don't have time to make all my own envelopes.

Have a tool you love to use, and think everyone else should too? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank for the help!